ESCAPE TO THE NORTH
About This Tour
- Sunday, June 19 – June 24th, 2022
- Rider limit: 30
- Start and finish in Rice Lake, WI
- Five overnights, five cycling days
- Average daily mileage: 55
- Difficulty: See FAQ page
- Price before April 30: $1,275, after April 30: $1,325
- Deposit to hold place in tour: $100 within 10 days of registration thru February 28, 2022; 2nd payment due March 15th or within 10 days of registration of $575, Final payment due May 15th 2022.
- Single Supplement $400
* Price assumes double share (two sharing a room). For a private room add $400 If you are traveling alone and would prefer to double share, we will attempt to find you a suitable roommate, but we cannot guarantee a roommate for you. Without a roommate, the private room charge will be added to your balance due. Lodging Note: All lodging is of good quality. In a few towns, however, rooms may differ slightly (i.e. location and furnishings), in which case we will assign rooms in the order in which we receive registrations. At the Lakewood Resort in Cable, four people will be located within one deluxe waterfront condo with 2-3 bedrooms and 2 baths. There are a few 1 bedroom condos (based on 2 persons). Please specify your choice when you register. There is limited availability. If you are opting for a single supplement, it assumes you will be in a separate bedroom/bath within the 2 bedroom condo.
ESCAPE TO THE NORTH DAY BY DAY
Please Note that although the day by day itinerary is listed below, changes may need to occur based on the status of COVID19 at the time of the tour and route changes based on construction.
Sunday, June 19, Meet in Rice Lake
After checking in at the Americinn, we’ll gather at a local restaurant for a short pre-tour information meeting to say hello to our new bicycle companions and staff before sitting down to a delicious hearty dinner at a local Rice Lake restaurant. Those who arrive early in Rice Lake may want to take a dip in the hotel’s indoor pool, visit the shops in downtown Rice Lake, or go for a short bike ride in and around this bike friendly town. The Wild Rivers State Trail and Tuscobia State Trail (limestone grade) are favorites with hikers and bikers.
Monday, June 20th, Cycle to Hayward, Approximate mileage: 50
After a continental breakfast at the hotel we’ll ride through the downtown streets of Rice Lake on our way out of town. The days scenery will include lakes and woods, occasional wildlife on quiet rural roads. We might want to take off our shoes and wade in the clear water at Long Lake. Our home for the night will be the Flat Creek Lodge in Hayward. Hayward is home to the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum. You may wish to take a tour of the museum, visit the shops downtown. or stop at the angry Minnow Brewing Co. In the evening, we will meet at the lodge for a private dinner to share stories of the day’s ride. After Dinner we will be entertained by a Lumberjack show. Steeped in the logging history of Wisconsin’s north woods, the show is a blend of sport, history and comedy. Located at the site of the Lumberjack World Championships, the show includes ten events as seen on ESPN’S Great Outdoor Games.
Tuesday, June 21st, Cycle to Cable, Approximate mileage: 48
After a hot breakfast, we’ll start out towards Cable. We will travel on backroads and around scenic lakes to Cable, home of the American Birkebeiner ski race. You may want to stop in Cable at the Cable Natural History Museum or have a bite to eat at the Brick House Café which was featured on the Food Network’s top rated show Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives with Guy Fieri. The last leg of the ride is to the Lakewood Resort where we will be spending the next two nights on the shores of Lake Namakagon surrounded by 850,000 acres of Chequamegon National Forest. Deluxe condos will be our home. We will join others tonight for a well-earned dinner at the Resort. An afternoon stretching and yoga class will keep your biking legs relaxed.
Wednesday, June 22nd, Layover Day, Approximate Mileage 0 – 25+
After a hot breakfast at the resort, we’ll make some choices about how to spend our lay over day. Of course, Biking options will be available. The award winning 18-hole golf course on site gives you a true Northwoods golf experience: tree-lined fairways offer glimpses of abundant wildlife while spectacular scenery and unbelievable vistas over woodland ponds and wetlands are the norm. Kayaks, canoes and paddleboards will be available to rent or swimming and just relaxing are other options. A group afternoon pontoon ride will offer the opportunity to get to know your fellow bicyclists better and as well hear about the local history of the area from the driver. This day will be a good day to rest up for the long route tomorrow.
Thursday, June 23rd , Cycle to Spooner, Approximate Mileage, 61
Friday, June 24th , Cycle to Rice Lake, Approximate mileage: 45
After a hot breakfast at the hotel, we will peddle our way back to Rice Lake. We will be riding on shaded backroads through the woods past lakes dotted with tourist cottages .We will wind around Shell Lake and Bear Lake as we travel towards Rice Lake. Our rest stop will be in the Village of Haugen. The last few miles into Rice Lake include some challenging hills to finish the week’s ride. We’ll have a chance to shower in a couple rooms set aside for us at the hotel before saying our good-byes to our new bike friends and heading home. If we’re not in a hurry to leave, we may want to explore Rice Lake a little more or take advantage of the many hiking, fishing, and boating opportunities that abound in the area.
Small Private Tours
Try one of our shorter private small group bicycle tours. We can design a private bike tour of various sizes.
Northern Woods & Waters
What People are Saying
“We had a wonderful time on the Escape to the North Tour. We enjoyed the beauty of the area, the challenge of the hills, the fun people, and the great food. Mary Jo put together a fabulous route and fun after-ride activities. The team was friendly, very supportive and attended to our every need. I highly recommend this trip.“
Chuck and Mary from Minnesota – 2021
Gordy & Linda from Wisconsin 2021
Susan from Wisconsin 2021
Mariette, St Paul, Mn, 2021